Our Company has grown steadily having traded for over 45 years; we currently have an annual turnover of approx. £17m, carrying about £3.6m of stock at any given time. The product range includes but is not confined to:
- Personal protective equipment including footwear
- Janitorial and cleaning products and equipment
- Workplace safety and storage equipment
- Tools of all types
- Lubricants and lubrication equipment
- Hoses and hydraulic fittings
- Welding consumables and equipment
We also provide a range of associated services which include pressure testing of hoses, embroidery and printing of garments, bespoke garment manufacture, sign making, and dispenser fixing.
Our total business approach and each step in our strategic plan takes us closer to zero carbon and zero waste. We work with suppliers to optimise packaging use and reduce the supply chain carbon footprint.
At Caswells we are aware that all of our business activities have an impact upon the environment. Our internationally recognised ISO 14001 certification provides the mechanisms for us to implement monitoring and measuring activities to support the continual improvement of our environmental performance.
Our major environmental aspects have been identfied as:
- Fuel consumption
- Energy consumption
We strive to offer the widest range of sustainable products, buying in bulk from approved consortia partners to maximise cost savings we can pass on to our customers assuring them every step has been taken to assess provenance and sustainability of the product and raw materials.
Our UKAS certified ISO 14001-2015 Management System provides a framework for us to establish our own performance targets alongside the validity and effectiveness of procedures and systems, enabling us to ensure sustainable business operations and helps us not only achieve our goals but implement policies of continual improvement, too.
Our use of water is primarily confined to workplace cleaning and hygiene purposes. As such, our direct water use and related emissions are minimal.
We work with customers to create more efficient ordering profiles, thus reducing the number of small orders placed. In addition, we operate a Samsara Vehicle Fleet Management System, which enables us to manage our drivers and train them to drive more efficiently, which supports the reduction of CO2 emissions associated with our deliveries.
Our Samsara Vehicle Fleet Management System automatically generates the most effective route for deliveries.
Since 2020 Caswells have utilised hybrid cars. We have dedicated electrical charging points onsite. Our 2022 objective is the installation of more electric vehicle charging points and transition to electric delivery vehicles to improve fleet efficiency.
from renewable sources
- All packaging comes from suppliers and is recycled (plastic/cardboard balers).
- We pay a premium for recycled tape, used to despatch all customer orders.
- Our site does not use plastic packaging at all.
- We use Ranpak to protect all deliveries (akinto crumpled brown paper).
- All items are despatched in cardboard boxes.
- Minimal packaging is used preserving safety,hygiene and customer acceptance.
- In 2021 our fleet travelled over 226,901 miles. Our fleet conducted 18,737 trips.
- Our longest trip was 204 miles.
- Our Fleet spent 7,919 hours on the road.
- Saved 3,000Kg of CO2 by diverting waste from landfill.
OUR ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY
D R Caswell Limited are committed to reducing ourimpact on the environment by considering our own actions and working with customers and suppliers to develop and implement continual improvements. Using a risk-based methodology, we have identified our environmental aspects, which include - but are not limited to - energy use, water, light, land, fire, air, natural gas, and waste.
To ensure continual improvement to our environmental performance, top management have determined a suite of realistic and achievable environmental objectives, with supporting measurable key performance indicators to assist us to eliminate hazards and reduce any impact our activities have on the environment, whilst maintaining the quality of our business activities.
To support the achievement of these objectives we shall continue to:-
- comply with applicable statutory and regulatory requirements, codes of practices, and client or insurance requirements.
- use 100% renewable energy resources and reduce our Co2 consumption to zero where possible.
- minimize the generation of waste and to dispose of unavoidable and hazardous waste in a responsible manner.
- consider the environmental implications of changes to products, process, materials, and facilities when business decisions are made.
- reduce emissions to levels at which adverse impacts onthe environment are avoided.
- operate in a socially responsible manner.
- seek to utilise packaging that is environmentally friendly, recyclable, reusable, and does not damage the environment.
- encourage all employees and those persons working onbehalf of Caswells to play an active role in meeting environmental objectives which shall be regularly reviewed.
- operate in close liaison with the local community and to promote sustainable consumption.
Caswells are committed to the consultation and participation of all persons working for and behalf of our organisation. Our EH&S committee focus upon standards and controls and training and promoting a culture of EHS compliance and monitoring. They are responsible for the development and implementation of safety initiatives within the organisation which enables us to provide a safe and environmentally friendly working environment for our staff.
All employees shall be made aware of this policy. Where necessary, information, instruction, and training shall be provided to ensure that their responsibilities for environmental issues are clearly communicated and understood. We are committed to being a truly sustainable business and this means having the ability to provide our customers with high quality products and services in ways that enhance the environment.
Environmental management is a prime responsibility of managers at all levels but the objectives of this policy can only be achieved with the support and commitment of all employees.
This policy shall be maintained as documented information, shall be communicated within the organisation, shall be available to interested parties as appropriate, and regularly reviewed.